There are many resources, tools, networks, pieces of advice and experts that you can call upon to help your search for & securing a new career role. All have their merits, uses and place within the process, but ultimately a person’s mind-set and attitude will also contribute to the success of any career campaign. This is where working with a good coach can really springboard you onto success.
Working with a coach can support the ‘marketing of you’ – as a person seeking a new role you need to adopt a ‘marketing specialist’ role and imitate the same process as a successful marketing campaign.
Being the Marketing Specialist of You:
- Know the Product – YOU
- What are your work values, goals, interests & skills…?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses..?
- What is the ideal future scenario…?
- Develop good ‘sales tools’: CV – Covering Letter – LinkedIn Profile
- Use the internet to research good templates to help guide you
- Read profiles of people already working in your chosen industry, what key words do they use, what’s their past experience, what skills do they promote? What’s their USP?
- Identify your market
- Explore career options
- What are the current trends in the market-place
- Check out potential company cultures & future directions (that are suited to you)
- Perfect Successful Job Search Strategies
- What can your referral network provide..? Ask for help – a surprising amount of people will gladly offer their time/insight etc
- Make direct contact with the company – make yourself known
- Use the internet for extensive & relevant research
- Get your CV out there – on platforms for it to be found
- Use 3rd party agencies to search on your behalf
- Commit dedicated time & effort to it – getting a job is a full-time job, develop a new routine, think differently & reward yourself to maintain momentum
- Be creative!!!
Use a coach to identify your key skills, experience & expertise
A coach can also help you in other ways, such as:
- Developing & maintaining a high-level of (legitimate) self-confidence
- Practising your script – practise interview techniques; answering tricky questions; tailoring your CV & covering letter each time; get it wrong & then get it RIGHT
- Help you to focus on the end prize